How To Cook Cube Steak – A Beginner’s Guide to Cooking Cube Steak: Tips and Tricks
Cooking cube steak can seem daunting to beginners, but with a few simple tips and tricks, anyone can create a delicious meal. Here’s a beginner’s guide to cooking cube steak:
1. Season it well: Cube steak is a tenderized cut of beef that comes from the top round or bottom round. It can be bland if not seasoned properly, so be sure to use a generous amount of salt and pepper before cooking.
2. Pound it: Even though it has been tenderized, it can still be tough in places. Pounding it with a meat mallet will make it more tender and also helps it cook more evenly.
3. Coat it : Dredging your cube steak in flour or breadcrumbs before cooking can help give it a crispy, flavorful crust.
4. Heat your pan: The key to cooking cube steak is to sear each side over high heat. To do this properly, heat a skillet over medium-high heat until hot, then add oil to the pan. Once the oil is hot, carefully add the cube steak to the pan.
5. Cook it right: Cook the cube steak for about 3-4 minutes on each side until it’s browned and crispy. If you prefer it cooked more, you can reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking until it’s done.
6. Rest it: Once it’s done cooking, be sure to let it rest for a few minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute and makes it more tender and juicy.
7. Add a sauce: If you want to add even more flavor, consider adding a sauce or gravy. Mushroom gravy or beef broth is a popular choice.
Here are a few additional tips:
– Cube steak is best cooked quickly over high heat. It’s not a cut of meat that’s ideal for slow cooking.
– Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Cube steak is safe to eat once it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F.
– If you prefer a crispy crust, use a cast-iron skillet or a pan that can get very hot without warping.
– Don’t overcrowd the pan. This can cause the meat to steam rather than sear and won’t give you that crispy crust.
Overall, cooking cube steak is simple and fast, making it an ideal meal for busy weeknights. With a few simple tips and techniques, you can create a delicious and satisfying meal that’s sure to please.